FOURTH SUNDAY OF ADVENT: SOUL FOOD FOR HUNGRY ADULTS: DEC.23, 2012. Gospel Reading: Luke 1:39-44. Micah 5:1-4, Hebrews 10:5-10
The food is in; the presents are nearly all bought; the decorations and the tree are all ready; the Christmas lights are in place. All is ready, – but still we are waiting, excited and full of expectation: He Who is to Come is nearly here.
‘And the child in my womb leapt for joy!’ When Mary arrived at her door, when Elizabeth heard the greeting coming from outside in the yard, the six-month old baby in the womb ‘leapt for joy’ at the voice of Mary,- ‘Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?’ And our hearts are ready to jump with joy. We’re waiting, counting the hours almost. ‘Are we there yet, are we there yet?’
The house is ready. But are our hearts just as ready, lit up with joy because of the coming of the Master, Jesus, the Son of Mary, the Son of the Most High? He will come again, as if for the very first time. Remember your first kiss? Remember your first embrace? Remember the first time you welcomed Jesus with your whole heart and into your whole heart. It’s happening again in two days time,- as if for the very first time!
A few nuggats from the readings for this 4th and last Sunday of Advent: pick any one and let your heart digest it joyfully:
- ‘Let the earth bring forth a Saviour’
- ‘Let us pray as Advent closes that Christ will truly come into our hearts.’
- ‘He will stand and feed his flock with the majesty of the name of his God.’ (Micah).
- ‘Let your face shine on us and we will be saved.’
- ‘God, here I am! I am coming to obey your will.’
- ‘His will for us was to be made holy by the offering of his body one and for all by Jesus Christ.’ (Hebrews)
- ‘As soon as Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leapt
in her womb and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.’
- ‘Of all women you are the most blessed!
- ‘And blessed is the fruit of your womb ‘(Jesus).
- ‘Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord?’
- ‘For the moment your greeting reached my ears, the child in my womb leapt for joy.’
- ‘Yes, blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.’
We’re nearly there!
Seamus Devitt C.Ss.R.